New York Comic Con was this past weekend, Thursday Oct. 9th to Sunday Oct. 12th, and our FOX shows and cast did not disappoint! In attendance were Gotham, Sleepy Hollow, Bob’s Burgers, and The Following, and for those of you who were unable to attend, here are the important highlights:
– A “Machiavellian rise to the top” is expected of Oswald Cobblepot (Robin Lord Taylor), the future Penguin, according to Gotham showrunner, Danny Cannon. addressing fan speculation of whether Penguin, an animal that eats fish, will end up ‘devouring’ Fish Mooney (Jada Pinkett Smith). Uh-oh, Fish, seems you had better watch out.
– In regards to many fans’ questions of when we will see more of Bruce Wayne (David Mazouz), Cannon asserted that they are many seasons away from focusing on the young Batman. Instead, early seasons of Gotham will focus on “how Jim [Gordon] and Alfred [Pennyworth] are gonna father him,” although he did confirm that Selina Kyle and Bruce Wayne will be finally meeting very soon.
– Sean Pertwee’s Alfred will continue to reveal facets of his background onscreen, bringing new depth to the notorious butler. “He’s the protector of young master Bruce, but it doesn’t mean he has any particular parenting skills- and it gets worse!” Pertwee said, grinning at the NYCC panel. Cannon went on to add that “you start to realize why he’s such a great keeper of the gate and was hired by one of the richest men in the world to protect his son- because he’s a badass.” I’m sure we’re all waiting with bated breath for the episode where Alfred teaches Bruce how to fight, especially considering Donal Logue (Det. Harvey Bullock) hinted at a future confrontation between Alfred and Fish Mooney where Alfred “goes off!”
-Future villains to expect from Gotham include Harvey Dent (episode 9) and Victor Zsasz (episode 7) for sure although fan questions as to whether an appearance from others, like Harley Quinn, have not been confirmed. When asked if the young comedian from Fish Mooney’s club in the pilot was the future Joker, Cannon gave a long pause before saying that they’re going “way, way back” for the Joker, and that he “probably isn’t telling jokes yet.” That seems a safe enough assumption that the boy is not, and will not be, Gotham‘s version of the Joker. Cannon also alluded to the possible appearance of the Council of Owls should Gotham make it to a second season.
– Collider.com was able to sit with Ben McKenzie (Det. James Gordon) at a roundtable to get his thoughts on the future of both Gotham and his character:
-The future of Captain Frank Irving (Orlando Jones) is not looking too good. “I’ve sold my soul to the Horseman and now I’m a soldier for the other side.” Jones told fans at NYCC, “I mean, killing people, that’s cool and all, but thematically, it’s very sad to men and it’s awesome to see him that way but I wish it was for the other side, that it was the fight for good and not evil.”
-For the lighter side, Ichabod Crane (Tom Mison) is going to finally learn how to drive with Jenny Mills (Lyndie Greenwood) help, behind Abbie Mills’ (Nicole Beharie) back. For everyone who ships Ichabbie, this scene promises to be touching and heartfelt. Awww.
-The season 2 Sleepy Hollow finale is promised to be absolutely “bonkers”. Whereas last season’s finale seemed to come quite out of nowhere, Wiseman explains that this season has been planned from beginning to end already and they are “planting a seed you can watch and go back and know that was actually planned.”
-Creator Lauren Bouchard is in the process of figuring out an opposite crossover episode with Archer. The Belchers already ended up in Archer‘s universe, and fans were curious to see if Archer would find himself in their house. “My feeling is we’re going to figure out a way to do it that is in the spirit of our show, the way they did it in the spirit of their show.” Bouchard explained at NYCC. H. Jon Benjamin, who voices both Archer and Bob Belcher, posed the idea that Russian thugs from Archer might come to the restaurant. Who knows, but I’m sure it will be hilarious.
-Although no date is set for the release of the Bob’s Burgers soundtrack, Bouchard promised that is will happen soon, optimistically adding that the preference is “before the end of the year.” Fingers crossed that Gene’s Die Hard: The Musical numbers are on it.
-Apparently, when Bouchard first posed the show to FOX, his idea was to create a show that would stand out from the other animated shows on the weekend cartoon block, pitching “Family runs restaurant and they’re cannibals.” Fox execs loved it, but added one change: What if they’re not cannibals? Turns out that worked great, too.
Just watch the New York Comic Con exclusive trailer, ’nuff said.
– The Following premieres Monday, Jan. 20 at 9 pm on FoxCT. Looks like Mike Weston (Shawn Ashmore) is out in the cold… literally… and Ryan Hardy (Kevin Bacon) and Max Hardy (Jessica Stroup) are loving life. No sign of Joe Carroll (James Purefoy) or surviving twin Max Gray (Sam Underwood), but, then again, that’s to be expected.
– During a roundtable at NYCC, Kevin Bacon revealed that “there is evil bigger than Joe” out there that season 3 will focus on. Collider.com has graciously provided the video: