- 1 16 oz can of lump or super lump blue crab meat
- 2-3 tablespoons mayonnaise (hellman’s preferred )
- 1 tablespoon soy or Worcestershire sauce
- ground white pepper to taste
- almond flour
- corn starch
- olive oil
Drain crab meat very well - gently squeeze crab meat or push against colander to extract all the moisture possible
*In mixing bowl put crab meat in and mix in 2 tablespoons of mayonnaise, soy or Worcestershire and gently mix together. Add i teaspoon white pepper.
*Grab a small amount & squeeze into a ball, it is too dry or falls apart add the 3rd T of mayo.
*Gently fold in some almond flour - a table spoon at a time or corn starch till mixture will form a cake. divide mixture into four equal portions by weight or by scoop.
*Put a generous sprinkle of corn starch on a flat plate. dredge each cake on each side with corn starch. pat off excess corn starch and adjust final form of crab cake.
Heat 2-3 tablespoons olive oil on medium high in a flat sauce pan. place crab cakes and sear till golden - gently flip and sear other side. (up until this step can be done earlier or day before ) if eating immediately - cover pan or place pan in the over for 10 minutes at 325 until heated through
*If prepared day before - pull crab cakes one hour before heating to room temperature and heat thoroughly in a 325 oven for 20 minutes.
- 1 cup mayo
- 2 tablespoons chopped herbs - any combination of tarragon, chives, parsley, dill, thyme
- 1 tablespoon capers, drained
- 1 teaspoon chopped pickles (not sweet) or 1 teaspoon pickle relish (sweet)
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- pinch kosher salt
- pepper to taste
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika (optional )
*Combine all ingredients well in a mixing bowl - best if refrigerated over night