Breaking News
More () »

Branford deputy fire marshal had been drinking before fatal hit-and-run: Sources

The former deputy fire marshal came forward just days after the incident in October but was not arrested

NORTH BRANFORD, Conn — Branford's Deputy Fire Marshal, Amanda Mark, who is the town's first female career firefighter, is now on paid leave following her Tuesday arrest following a deadly hit & run in North Branford last October.

FOX61 learned exclusively that the 36-year-old came forward within a couple of days of the deadly hit and run. So why did it take nearly seven months for her to be arrested?

RELATED: Canine training facility manager killed 10 dogs and abused others: Police

Near a sharp curve, along Branford Road, near Rose Orchards Farm, 52-year-old Douglas Clark was struck and killed walking home by a hit & run driver after midnight on October 16. Police said they knew pretty quickly who was responsible: Amanda Mark.

"We made a seizure of the vehicle shortly thereafter approximately about a week after," said North Branford's Deputy Police Chief James Lovelace.

But Mark, who is a firefighter, and paramedic wasn't arrested until Tuesday.

"These investigations take a long period of time and there's a lot of detail and forensic evidence and the processing of that evidence," Lovelace told FOX61 exclusively.

Sign up for the FOX61 newsletters: Morning Forecast, Morning Headlines, Evening Headlines

The arrest warrant has not been released publicly yet, but sources tell FOX61 Mark came forward within a couple of days of the fatal hit & run, writing in a statement that she thought she hit an animal or trash can and chose not to stop.

Mark's current lawyer, Willie Dow, declined comment Wednesday. But sources added that Mark had been drinking at a Branford bar and was on her way home when she allegedly struck and killed Clark. Police would not confirm these details.

"There was evidence not at that specific location but at other locations that we developed through our investigation," Lovelace said. 

RELATED: Simsbury jogger's killer sentenced to 35 years in prison for 2014 death

Sources also said that upon learning a man died, Mark reached out to an attorney whose life she had saved as a paramedic for legal advice, and that started the process of her coming forward.

Tony Terzi is a reporter at FOX61 News. He can be reached at tterzi@fox61.com. Follow him on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.


Have a story idea or something on your mind you want to share? We want to hear from you! Email us at newstips@fox61.com



Download the FOX61 News APP

iTunes: Click here to download

Google Play: Click here to download

Stream Live on ROKU: Add the channel from the ROKU store or by searching FOX61.

Steam Live on FIRE TV: Search ‘FOX61’ and click ‘Get’ to download.


Before You Leave, Check This Out