x
Breaking News
More (0) »

FOX 61 | Connecticut breaking news, weather, traffic, sports and social media

Fire official: 2-alarm house fire in Orange caused by smoldering cigar

ORANGE — A fire that destroyed a Connecticut home last week has been ruled accidental. The New Haven Register reports Sunday that Orange Fire Marshal Tim ...

ORANGE -- A fire that destroyed a Connecticut home last week has been ruled accidental.

The New Haven Register reports Sunday that Orange Fire Marshal Tim Smith has determined the Wednesday fire was caused by a cigar left smoldering on a couch.

Officials say the homeowners weren't home when the fire started in the early morning hours, but their adult son was and managed to escape.

Neighbors called 911 but snow and icy conditions presented challenges for firefighters trying to put out the blaze.

Smith said the house was a total loss and all the belongings inside were destroyed.