Breaking News
More () »

FOX 61 | Connecticut breaking news, weather, traffic, sports and social media

Bloomfield woman in custody after fatal shooting

Police say a domestic dispute has left one man dead in Bloomfield.

BLOOMFIELD, Conn. — A Bloomfield man is dead after a domestic dispute led to a shooting Friday night. Police arrested a woman, who is currently in the hospital, and were investigating the incident Saturday.

“It started out as an argument and escalated to a physical confrontation and culminated with a shot being fired,” said Captain Stephen Hajdasz, of the Bloomfield Police Department.

Police did not release the name of the man who was killed. Police were called to a home at Filley Street about 10:40 p.m. Friday night. Officers were met by 37-year-old Marvyann Duncan who told them she had just shot her gun. Police said they entered the home to find a 39-year-old male victim with a gunshot wound to the head. He was taken to the hospital but did not survive.

Duncan has been named a suspect and is currently in police custody.

“We placed her under arrest at the scene,” Captain Hajdasz said. “Right now our detective unit is working with the State’s Attorney Office as far as formal charges.”

The captain said the two were in a relationship. Police confirmed a child in the household was placed with a relative.

It’s a quiet neighborhood in a wooded area so neighbors were surprised to learn what happened.

In 2020, FOX61 reported that Marvyann Duncan and her son were harassed in a Bloomfield store by another shopper, filed a complaint with police, and made an appearance at a related press conference. 

“The complainant in the case about the racial remarks, is the suspect in this case,” Captain Hajdasz said. 

Hajdasz said he was uncertain if it was a case of self-defense.

“I don’t have any information as to ascertain or make a definitive statement on that,” Captain Hajdasz said. He said the investigation into what led up to the shooting is still very active.

Police said Duncan requested to be taken to the hospital and has not been arraigned. Captain Hajdasz said they’re in contact with the court system to determine if they are going to do a bedside arraignment.

Police said the suspect would be charged with murder and subsequent charges, however detectives are working with the State’s Attorney Office to formulate the exact charges about the incident.



Download the FOX61 News APP

iTunes: Click here to download

Google Play: Click here to download

Stream Live on ROKU: Add the channel from the ROKU store or by searching FOX61.