x
Breaking News
More () »

FOX 61 | Connecticut breaking news, weather, traffic, sports and social media

Gov. Lamont, Lt. Gov. Bysiewicz announce coordination with businesses to promote the 2020 Census

Tuesday at a press conference, Gov. Lamont announced that the state saw no COVID-19 related deaths.

HARTFORD, Conn — Governor Ned Lamont and Lt. Governor Susan Bysiewicz announced that on Friday, they will coordinate with businesses to allow their employees to take the 2020 U.S. Census. 

Lt. Gov. Bysiewicz said while Connecticut leads the country in census numbers, the state remains at a little over 65 percent of households in the state. Lt. Gov. Byseiwicz says they are still looking for that remaining 35 percent, and that's where employers can come in.

On July 10th around 10 a.m., Lt. Gov. Bysiewicz said some businesses will give employees 10 minutes to go and complete the 2020 U.S. Census.

"You have to go where people are," said Gov. Lamont when talking about encouraging people to take the 2020 U.S. Census. 

The census ends in October, and you can fill the information out online here. 

Tuesday at a press conference, Gov. Lamont announced that the state saw no COVID-19 related deaths. It was the first time since March that the state has seen no deaths related to the virus. 

Gov. Lamont discussed the next phase in the Reopening Connecticut plan during his briefing on Monday and said Phase 3 is being paused and that he is “erring on the side of caution” after looking at other states' numbers that are on the rise.

The pause is due in large part to problems with the virus spiking elsewhere across the country.

 "I'm just looking around the rest of the country. I see Texas, I see Florida, Southern California, all closing down bars and I'm learning from that." 

"Outdoor is much safer than indoors," he said. " I'm sorry to disappoint you, I think the bars are going to have to pause right now." 

Last week, the Governor declared that visitors from numerous states, including California, Arizona, Texas and Florida would be asked to quarantine for two weeks upon their arrival in Connecticut.

RELATED: First time since March Connecticut records zero new COVID-19 related deaths

RELATED: You Ask. We Answer. | COVID Testing; Phase 3; DMV Questions

RELATED: CT Department of Health chooses Mathematica Policy Research to review State's long term care facilities

"They have pockets that have an infection rate that’s 10, 20 even 30 times more than Connecticut," Lamont said.

And, it appears folks from those states are listening.

"In talking to our airlines here, when we issued the quarantine directive, the number of people making reservations coming up from say Florida and South Carolina went down about 20 percent, he said.

Despite what’s happening in other states, Lamont will not pull back on the indoor dining, which presently stands at a maximum 50 percent of capacity.

"I urge you to go outdoors," Lamont said. "I urge you to take that outdoor dining every opportunity you can."

And, while Connecticut has posted seven straight days with fewer than 1% of coronavirus tests coming back positive, beachgoers are taking social distancing seriously.

"We did think about that," said Janet Vollmer, of Sandy Hook. "That was part of our discussion this morning, whether we should come or not. But, we did wear our masks."

A Hartford area family, deciding the beach was a bit too crowded, stuck to the picnic area at Hammonasset.

"You want to keep what the governor says," said one man. "Stay distant and 6 feet is OK. Use a mask."

"It’s open-air, sun, saltwater and I feel like just a regular day at the beach," said Giuseppe Malangone of Wallingford.

One reminder: the state is asking you to keep outdoor groups to 100 or fewer people and indoors at a 25 person limit.

Due to the pandemic, the Census deadline has been pushed back until late October. To find out more or to register click 2020Census.gov or call 844-330-2020. The information is kept confidential.