Breaking News
More () »

FOX 61 | Connecticut breaking news, weather, traffic, sports and social media

23-year-old woman who disappeared on Valentine's Day still missing days later

Anitra Gunn hasn't been seen since around 11:30 a.m. on Friday.

FORT VALLEY, Ga. — Update: Anitra Gunn's body has been found. This is what we know: http://bit.ly/3241xuG

A middle Georgia police department is hoping someone will know what happened to a missing woman and help get her home safely.

Fort Valley Police said that 23-year-old Anitra Gunn, of Atlanta, was last seen on Valentine's Day - Friday - at around 11:30 a.m. The 2016 West Lake High School graduate was in the Chestnut Hills Road area outside the city.

UPDATE: Authorities said they've found the missing student dead. Click here for the latest.

Police said they didn't have any leads on what she may have been wearing at the time. However, they said she is about 5 feet 7 inches tall and 165 pounds with black hair and brown eyes.

"We are asking that anyone with information about Anitra's whereabouts call the police department at 478-825-3384," Police Chief Lawrence Spurgeon said in a release.

TIMELINE: The disappearance of Fort Valley State student Anitra Gunn

The Peach County Sheriff's Office and Georgia Bureau of Investigation are also aiding in the search and several area police departments have since shared her photo in an effort to help find her.

Police provided no indication of whether they believe she left the area of her own free will or not.

Credit: Fort Valley Department of Public Safety
Anitra Gunn

On Monday, the university released a statement about her disappearance. 

"Fort Valley State University is deeply concerned about the well-being of our student Anitra Gunn and we are praying for her safe return.

FVSU is working closely with the Fort Valley Police Department, which is investigating Anitra’s disappearance. Anitra is enrolled as a full-time student at FVSU as a senior Agriculture major.

Campus officials have been in touch with Anitra’s family to offer our support for Anitra’s safe return."


Suspects in Alexis Crawford murder case waive arraignment, plead not guilty

Police said they left their mother sitting in her own feces for 2 weeks before she died. Now, they face felony charges

Police: Shooting reported in parking lot at Lenox Square