NEW HAVEN, Conn. — Three eighth graders and a high school student were hospitalized Wednesday after they ate "edibles" and fell sick, New Haven school officials said.
Officials said the three students at Bishop Woods School ingested what appeared to be candy one of them had brought into school. The student who brought in the substance, which he described as an “edible,” experienced slurred speech and vomited.
Hillhouse High School was placed on lockdown because of police activity in the neighborhood. The lockdown has ended safely. During the lockdown, a student was behaving erratically. She acknowledged having consumed an “edible” substance. She was transported to the hospital as a precaution.
All three students from Bishop Woods School were taken to a local hospital as a precaution. The New Haven police are investigating what may have been in the candy.
Edibles are described as food products that contain cannabis. They can include baked goods, candies, chocolates, and beverages. They can be purchased or made at home.
School staff swept the school, and said it appears that no other children ingested the substance. The parents of the children who were taken to the hospital have been notified.
No other students at the school were impacted, and the school is proceeding with regular classes. Staff are going to classes to inform students about what happened.
Doug Stewart is a digital content producer at FOX61 News. He can be reached at email@example.com.
Have a story idea or something on your mind you want to share? We want to hear from you! Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
HERE ARE MORE WAYS TO GET FOX61 NEWS
Download the FOX61 News APP
iTunes: Click here to download
Google Play: Click here to download
Stream Live on ROKU: Add the channel from the ROKU store or by searching FOX61.
Steam Live on FIRE TV: Search ‘FOX61’ and click ‘Get’ to download.