TOLLAND – Students and faculty have been allowed back into Tolland High School, after being evacuated for a suspected gas leak.
At about 7:30 Wednesday the kithcen staff noticed a gas-like odor during their usual morning routine. The told the administration, who notified police.
The gas company came in to review the situation and theTolland, UConn, and Willington fire departments responded, as well.
As buses were arriving, staff held them aside and did not allow students into the school but students were then sent to designated evacuation locations nearby.
The action was taken as a precaution to guarantee the safety of the staff and students
By 8:08 a.m. everyone was allowed back into the building, though preschool and kindergarten students remained in the in the auditorium for their first two class periods while the gas company was wrapping up, since their regular classrooms are located nearby to where the odor was reported.
“What we want to do is make sure the staff fully understands what is an emergency and what is typical,” said Tolland Public Schools’ Superintendent, Dr. Walter Willett. “We can never be too careful when it comes to kids”