Gov. Rick Scott’s office announced Thursday that five people have been infected with Zika in a 1-square-mile area of the city just north of the Little Haiti neighborhood.
According to the statement, four of the cases were previously announced by Florida’s Department of Health as being under investigation. The fifth case was confirmed Thursday. Scott’s office says that confirms federal criteria for identifying a new zone of transmission.
A large portion of Miami Beach remains an active Zika infection zone. Health officials said last month that another transmission zone in Miami’s Wynwood district had been cleared.
Zika infections have been reported in over 1,020 people in Florida. Most caught it while traveling outside the U.S., but 155 cases aren’t travel related.