Breaking News
More () »

FOX 61 | Connecticut breaking news, weather, traffic, sports and social media

Peter Manfredonia enters not guilty plea following multi-state murder manhunt

Manfredonia faces a slew of charges after a manhunt that lasted nearly a week

TOLLAND, Conn. — New developments Wednesday in the case of Peter Manfredonia, the Connecticut man at the center of a recent multi-state manhunt. Manfredonia was back in court via a digital teleconference feed-in Rockville. He is facing multiple felony charges. Peter Manfredonia sat with a mask on as he waived his right to a probable cause hearing, which would essentially make the state prove the charges against him are warranted.

The judge asked him, "Did you have any problem understanding anything that I just said to you?" 

Manfredonia responded clearly. "No your honor you were very clear, thank you."

Following the proceeding, Manfredonia's attorney, Michael Dolan, told FOX61 they have not received any evidence from the state to begin formulating his defense.

 "I’ve reviewed the warrant but I don’t have any of the discovery yet so we will certainly test the evidence once we obtain that and it’s really a procedural step at this point," said Dolan.

Manfredonia entered a not guilty plea to the slew of charges he faces, which comes after leading police on a manhunt that spanned five states.

The 23-year-old former UConn student allegedly snapped after his girlfriend broke up with him in May. Police says he killed Ted DeMers of Willington with a samurai sword. 

RELATED: Peter Manfredonia 'obsessed' with samurai swords, allegedly hacked witness's social media accounts: Warrant

His widowed wife, Cindy DeMers said, "I will miss him forever. But I was blessed to have him for 42 years so for that I am grateful for."

From there the police warrant details how Manfredonia broke into another Willington man’s house and held him hostage in the basement. Manfredonia allegedly recounting his previous crimes to his hostage. ”He said he didn’t know why he did it and that he was remorseful for it.”

Manfredonia then traveled to Derby where he allegedly killed his childhood acquaintance, Nick Eisele. 

"The floor shook as if somebody got slammed on the floor," said a man who lives in the same apartment home as Eisele.

Manfredonia was on the run for six days before he was eventually apprehended without incident on May 27th. Manfredonia has not yet been charged with the murder of Nick Eisele so more charges are still expected. He will be back in court on October 2nd.

RELATED: 'Just keep moving forward' | Wife of Ted DeMers finds comfort in goodbye letter

RELATED: Manfredonia manhunt: Nicholas Eisele's neighbor feels guilty for not calling the police

RELATED: Willington community comes together to remember Ted DeMers