Quinnipiac University accounting students will offer free tax preparation services at a series of volunteer income tax assistance (VITA) sessions during this year’s tax season. The services are available to taxpayers earning less than $54,000 per year.
The sessions will take place at the Keefe Community Center, 11 Pine St., Hamden, from 3-8 p.m. every Thursday, from Feb. 11 to April 14. There will be no session on March 17. Those who are interested can just walk in; no appointments are necessary.
For each session, participants must bring the following documents:
- Proof of identification and birth dates for family members;
- Social Security cards or individual taxpayer ID number for family members;
- Documentation for all income from work, social security or pensions, including W-2, 1099-R and 1099-Misc forms;
- Documentation for all income from interest, dividends and capital gains, including 1099-INT, 1099-DIV and 1099-B forms;
- Total amount paid for mortgage interest and real estate taxes;
- Total amount paid for child and dependent care (must bring day care provider’s address and tax ID number;
- Health insurance exemption certificate, if received;
- All 1095 forms and health insurance statements;
- Other deductions, including property taxes paid to town or city;
- Education expenses and student loan payments;
- Bank routing and account numbers to direct deposit refunds;
- A copy of last year’s federal and state returns, if available.
- To file a married-filing-joint tax return, both spouses must be present to sign the required forms.