Meatless Mondays is an effort to help reduce the amount of meat in American's diet. Katie Scott, New England Food Policy Coordinator, The Humane Society of the United States joined FOX 61 Good Day Connecticut to talk about the effort and share this recipe.
Makes 4 Servings
- Oil, Olive or Vegetable 2 Tablespoons
- Garlic powder Pinch
- Parsley or Basil, fresh 2 ½ Tablespoons
- Lemon Juice ¼ teaspoon
- Garbanzo beans, drained 2 cups
- Onion Powder ¼ teaspoon
- Garlic Powder ½ teaspoon
- Salt ¼ teaspoon
- Pepper ½ teaspoon
- Parsley, dried 2 teaspoons
- Basil, dried 2 teaspoons
- Lemon Juice 2 ¼ teaspoons
- Hot Sauce ¼ teaspoon
- Oil, Vegetable or Olive 1 ¼ tablespoons
- Whole grain flatbread or pizza crusts, personal size 4 each
- Black Olives, diced 2 ounces or more
- Tomatoes, finely diced or sliced 2 ounces or more
- Onions, finely diced or sliced 2 ounces or more
- Basil leaves, fresh, rinsed 16-20 leaves
1. Pesto sauce: Add garlic powder, parsley, and lemon juice to oil. Mix well.
2. Hummus: Add beans, onion powder, garlic powder, salt, pepper, basil, lemon juice, hot sauce and oil to the food processor. Mix until smooth.
3. Place flatbreads on a sheet pan and brush each with pesto.
4. Scoop ½ cup of hummus on each flatbread and spread evenly.
5. Bake at 375°F in oven for 3-5 minutes or until warm and flatbread is slightly crisp. Do not overbake.
6. Brush each baked flatbread with remaining pesto.
7. Garnish eat baked flatbread with tomato, onion, black olive and basil leaves.
Nutrition Information *From USDA Nutrient Database
Calories: 362 Total Fat: 13g Saturated Fat: 2g Carbohydrate: 47g(9g fiber) Protein: 12g Sodium: 543 mg