Breaking News
More () »

Connecticut State Police investigate death of man after trooper's stun gun use

Officials said the man died in his sleep four days after an encounter with troopers where he was shot with a stun gun.
Credit: BestStockFoto - stock.adobe.com

MIDDLETOWN, Conn. — Connecticut state police are investigating a man's death four days after a state trooper shot him with a stun gun, authorities said Friday.

Ryan Marzi, 38, of Hebron, died unexpectedly in his sleep on Aug. 28, according to an obituary prepared by his family. A memorial service was scheduled for Friday afternoon.

On the night of Aug. 24, state police said they responded to a reported domestic assault at a home in Canterbury. The victim told troopers that Marzi prevented the victim from leaving the home and damaged the victim's cell phone.

RELATED: Multiple investigations launched into Greenwich school official caught detailing discriminatory hiring practices

A second trooper who arrived at the scene saw the first trooper lying injured on the ground after an apparent struggle, state police said. One of the troopers then shot Marzi with a stun gun when he did not comply with verbal commands and advanced toward the troopers, state police said.

Marzi was taken to a hospital for an evaluation and discharged into the custody of state police, who charged him with assault, disorderly conduct, interfering with an officer and interfering with a 911 call. He posted $7,500 bail.

Court records do not list a lawyer for Marzi. The public defender's office in Danielson said it represented him only for his arraignment the day after his arrest, but was no longer involved in the case. The office declined further comment.

Sign up for the FOX61 newsletters: Morning Forecast, Morning Headlines, Evening Headlines 

Family members reported finding Marzi apparently dead in a home in Hebron on the morning of Aug. 28. The medical examiner's office performed an autopsy and is awaiting blood and other test results to determine the cause of death.

State police say they notified state prosecutors and the inspector general's office, which investigates deadly use of force by police officers statewide.

Inspector General Robert Devlin Jr. said in a statement that his office is monitoring the state police investigation and awaiting final autopsy results.

RELATED: State police issue summons to teen for alleged involvement in writing hate message on Deep River sign

State police have not released the names of the troopers who responded to the reported assault.


Have a story idea or something on your mind you want to share? We want to hear from you! Email us at newstips@fox61.com 


Download the FOX61 News APP 

iTunes: Click here to download 

Google Play: Click here to download 

Stream Live on ROKU: Add the channel from the ROKU store or by searching FOX61. 

Steam Live on FIRE TV: Search ‘FOX61’ and click ‘Get’ to download. 


Before You Leave, Check This Out