BRIDGEPORT — Bridgeport police said a woman was seriously injured after a quarter-stick of dynamite blew up in her hand.
Police said that after the family at 1248 Lindley Street lost power during a thunderstorm Thursday night, they tried going to Home Depot for emergency lights. Home Depot was closed.
The family then remembered that when they bought the house two years prior, there were a couple of what they thought were candles in the basement, left by the previous owners of the home.
The 30-year-old mother of two tried to light what she thought was the candle but what turned out to be a quarter stick of dynamite. She suffered extreme injuries to one of her hands, including the potential loss of more than one of her fingers.
She also suffered serious injuries to her face, and was taken to Bridgeport Hospital. She was since then taken to Yale-New haven Hospital, where she currently remains for treatment.
The two children, and the woman’s husband weren’t hurt.
The house was searched, and the another explosive was found and removed by the Connecticut State Police and the Bridgeport fire department. It was later detonated and disposed of by state police. Homes that surrounded the property were also searched as a precaution, but no other explosive devices were found.
Police said while fireworks and dynamite are against the law in the state of Connecticut, no charges will be pressed because it seemed that the current homeowners had no idea explosives were in their house.
Police are calling this a ‘tragic accident’, and remind people if you find something in your house that looks explosive, and you don’t know what it is, to contact your local fire department.
The second lesson police emphasized is to remember to always have back up auxiliary lighting in case you lose power in your home. Police said it’s preferable the lighting be battery-operated, glow stick, or handcrank-powered, to avoid the risk of fire damage.